Wednesday, November 2, 2016

11/2 I already want to change my mind.

11/2/2016

Getting a little bit of a head start from what I managed yesterday, giving myself a whopping 5 hours to finish instead of roughly 45 minutes. Day two definitely off to a better start than day one was. Today’s post might be a little bit scattered (well, more so than yesterday), I’m trying to do a thousand things around the house while cranking out today’s word count. Domestic chores for the evening include: making a dent in the literal mountain of laundry piled up in the closet, washing and dying my hair, more laundry, possibly vacuuming, and maybe putting away the mountain of clean laundry (if it ever gets to that point).

And an hour later all I’ve managed to do is wash my hair. I’m really good at this time management thing today.

I literally just keep staring at the screen, tabbing over to other pages I have open, scrolling through Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, whatever I can to do to procrastinate writing this up tonight. The boy is working on a project in his office, trying to 3D print a handheld gaming device of some kind, so that’s whirring and chirping away and making all kinds of noises in the background. I think my game plan of dying my hair tonight is a lost cause. I don’t have the energy to dry it, go through the ridiculous process of dying it, just to wash and dry it again. This is probably why it takes me roughly 6 months (if not more) to dye my hair. I’m just lazy about it anymore. I used to be super on top of it, religiously buying the minimum of 3 boxes it would take once a month just to keep it up, setting aside a full day or evening to get it done, and just knocking it out. My hair is so much shorter now, and I’m slowly trying to grow the black layers out of it so I’m down to just 2 boxes of the same color instead of 3 boxes of varying colors, and I just can’t be bothered with it. Yet I also can’t be bothered with going to a salon and paying entirely too much money to dye the amount of hair that I have on my head.

I almost forgot there was a Wings game tonight, so we can add various hockey noises and rather loud obscenities being shouted from the other room to my background noise for the night.

We’re now at the 10pm mark and I’ve finally made it through the dying process (very begrudgingly on my part, it took a bit of agitated convincing by the boy), and now we’re on to the setting/waiting process. It takes me so long to get through all of my hair that by the time I finish my whole head the spot I started in is really already ready to be rinsed out. I’m a little nervous about this color. It’s a LOT more vibrant red than I was really expecting or ready for, it’s going to be a huge change from what I had. Fingers crossed it doesn’t look completely ridiculous once it’s rinsed and dried.

During my sitting and procrastinating for the entirety of the night, I’ve been on the hunt for a pair (or multiple pairs) of boots that I can wear this winter. I have the hardest time finding anything that goes past the bottom of my shins because my calves are so wide and I hate it. Nearly 90% of the “wide calf” boots for sale top out at 16-17 inches and that’s not even really close to being a “wide” size. My calves are massive from years of dance and marching band, as well as working in retail and running around for 8+ hours a day, 40+ hours a week. I’m also really on a tight budget (who isn’t anymore though), so I don’t have the disposable income to special order ridiculous boots or even “splurge” on a super nice pair that should last me a few years. I think I finally found a few online from Torrid that might work out, bless Meghan Tonjes for introducing me because I’m in love. I’m also super not into driving a thousand miles and making a bunch of stops at various stores and shopping centers to find THE BOOT, so I have my fingers crossed that these two pairs I found will work out well for me. The reviews seem really good and the measurements are pretty spot on with what I need. The only real concern I have is that none of the styles I really like are in stock in my actual size, so I’m going up a half size and just praying that they aren’t obnoxiously big. I don’t mind padding with an extra pair of socks, but I’d rather avoid that if at all possible.

I’m roughly half-way through today’s word count goal and it’s time to go rinse my hair out and I’m completely terrified. It’s so red I don’t know what to do with myself.

Rinsing complete, it’s definitely really red. Really, really red. It’ll be hard to tell until it’s dry how it really turned out but I can’t even fathom torturing my hair anymore today so it’s going to air dry overnight and we’ll see how it goes in the morning. I feel like I’ve gone this super vibrant red route before, but it’s been so long since I can’t remember when it was. It’s so different from what I’ve been sporting for the last year or so. My poor hair is so dry and angry right now. It’s going to need a really good deep conditioning treatment sometime over the weekend or next week.

Also during my sitting and procrastinating tonight, I got a call from the girl closing the store tonight at work and now I’m slightly annoyed. She called to say that she thought I didn’t know that I was opening tomorrow (I did know that), and she thought I thought I was working Friday instead (I didn’t think that). I appreciate the slightly panicked thought, but she is the absolute last person that needs to be reminding me of my schedule. I’m not the one that makes the management schedule every month, but I am the one that puts it into our scheduling system every week. And I’m also the one that creates the associate schedule every week, meaning I’m staring at the days and looking at who is working when for about 6 total hours after it’s all said and done. I know when I work and when I don’t. She’s also the least reliable out of our 4 piece management team, and the only one who routinely is forgetting when she works. Three times in the last two weeks she’s showed up in the morning thinking she opened the store when she was either closing that day or actually off. I guess it’s better than thinking you close when you actually open, or even worse thinking you have the day off when you’re supposed to be opening. I know I probably shouldn’t be so bitter about her, she meant well giving me a call. But seriously. I’m the last person you need to remind about their schedule. I have it under control.

The boy just peeked his head over to my desk and was peering at the screen, I don’t think he’s fully understanding the NaNoWriMo concept or process. It’s kind of amusing. I’m also starting to think I might regret not creating a new novel this year and trying to blog instead. Turns out it’s a lot harder to truthfully speak about your everyday life than it is to make up a fictional story and build characters and a plot line. I’m already throwing around the idea of branching off from the blog project and picking up either something new or pulling up an old NaNo and continuing on. We’ll see. There’s two different stories I’ve thought about more than once over the years while trying to plot out NaNoWriMo, or even just thinking about picking up again in general, and I’ve been really itching to try to bring those back out. Maybe I will make the switch. Although technically that would mean I would have to pick up the slack of the words I’ve already put down. Which isn’t a ton, but 3300 words is not a small amount either. I guess 2 or 3 days in is better than a week or 10 days and deciding to change your mind.

The last thing I’m doing before signing off for bed for the night is mentally preparing myself for all the bills I have to pay out of this paycheck, and I kind of want to cry. I’m trying to budget out for the boots I’m thinking about buying, groceries, miscellaneous things for the house, getting a small jump start on Christmas shopping. But my car payment, both credit card bills, phone bill, and hospital bill are due out of this paycheck. Which is literally my entire check, plus a tiny bit more. Which is ridiculous and definitely cry worthy. Being an adult is dumb. Which is probably why I’m distracting myself from real life by trying to figure out which novel I’m going to switch to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2/20 What A Week

I don't have a clever title for you today. I'm tired. Not just sleepy tired, exhausted tired. It's been a week. And it's onl...